This venture is building invaluable community, I think that’s obvious to everyone who follows Unlikely Hikers. If you use or enjoy the content, culture and/or group hikes I’m producing, please consider making a monthly donation to my Patreon, or a one time donation to my Paypal or Venmo: @jenny-bruso.
If you’ve been following me for more than a minute, things probably look really glamorous. I’m obviously getting a lot of opportunities and “followers” (I still hate that we use that word!) and I’m beyond grateful! BUT the truth is community building efforts, interviews and even tv and radio airtime don’t usually pay.
I’m spending extremely long days working on Unlikely Hikers, with no days off, for almost nothing. Obviously, this isn’t sustainable and it has begun to affect my wellness. You wouldn’t believe the hours I put into planning, researching and conducting group hikes alone!
- Financially sustain Unlikely Hikers. Yes, this is something I feel personally motivated to do and enjoy, but many aspects of it provide services that people are using. I put countless unpaid hours into this and I’ve never been more aware that time is money.
- Plan out-of-Portland Unlikely Hiker meet-ups and do other community building events.
- Obtain sponsorships and gear for hiking excellence. Want me to wear your plus-size clothing? Try your trail food? Use and review your gear? I can write reviews and take photos as promotion. Unlikely Hikers has a reach of more than 32k followers. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org, if this interests you.
- Replace my decrepit ten-year-old laptop. It is vital to the work I am doing and it is rapidly approaching it’s end.
- Make this my full-time job and die of happiness.