YOU ARE WELCOME HERE.
Unlikely Hikers is a diverse, anti-racist, body-liberating outdoor community featuring the underrepresented outdoorsperson. We’re an Instagram community, a nationwide hiking group and a podcast. The outdoor industry and media have for too long displayed the narrowest definition of who is “outdoorsy” that isn’t representative of most of us. We are plus-size/fat*, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, queer, trans, non-binary, Disabled, neurodivergent and so much more.
NATURE IS INFINITELY DIVERSE AND SO ARE WE BECAUSE WE ARE NATURE.
YOUR DONATION SUPPORTS OUR SMALL TEAM AND VITAL PROGRAMMING THAT WILL BRING UNLIKELY HIKERS TO EVEN MORE PEOPLE WHO NEED INCLUSIVE OUTDOOR COMMUNITY.
Here are our main initiatives:
- Our ambassador team. Our small team consists of people of many identities and lived experiences, which makes what we do that much more multi-dimensional. We invest in them and they invest their creativity, time, leadership and insight into our group hikes, podcast, social media management and content creation. They aren’t just here to look cute on our feeds––although, they totally do that, too!
- Group hiking chapters. We are currently beginning the process of starting chapters all over the U.S. and hopefully beyond! Developing our leadership program is so much more involved than just telling a bunch of strangers on social media to go take a hike together. Our leaders are trained to meet the goals, needs and safety of our diverse community of Unlikely Hikers. We are also paying our chapter leaders. Their time is an investment in what makes Unlikely Hikers so special and we want to invest in them.
- The Unlikely Hikers Podcast. Our podcast features diverse, anti-racist, body-liberating stories from people underrepresented in outdoor media and culture. It was created as a means of connection during the COVID-19 pandemic when truth and storytelling feel more important than ever. Our new season debuts June 2021.
- Operations. Our many endeavors within Unlikely Hikers take more time and resources than you would imagine. From the boring stuff like paying for work space, utilities, gas for group hike scouting to the fun stuff like sending your merch orders, leading hikes and developing in-person events, this stuff costs A LOT of money and time, especially as we grow all of our projects to create access for as many Unlikely Hikers as possible!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON AND RECEIVE AMAZING, EXCLUSIVE REWARDS!
Sign up at patreon.com/unlikelyhikers
- Early access to group hike information––this is major. Our hikes fill up FAST.
- Access to two mini podcasts available only on Patreon. One featuring conversations with the Unlikely Hikers ambassador team, and another that gets personal with our founder, Jenny Bruso, on being a Fat & Outdoorsy hiker with mental health struggles available only on Patreon.
- Monthly raffle for Really Good Prizes from our brand partners (gear, clothing, shoes, shopping codes and beyond!)
- Discounts and early access to Unlikely Hikers merch
- A shout out on our podcast
- T-shirts, stickers, merch!
WE’RE ALSO LOOKING FOR BRAND PARTNERSHIPS AND SPONSORSHIP!
Whether you want to work with Unlikely Hikers or Jenny Bruso, we’re looking for all kinds of partnerships, short-term, long-term, one-offs. Maybe your business wants to sponsor a group hike, podcast episode or social content.
Email us for our rates: email@example.com
Please bear in mind, we work for money, not gear or exposure. Thank you!